Welcome to Clydesdale's Heritage

Clydesdale's HeritageWelcome to Clydesdale's Heritage, a project aimed at encouraging all people to take an active interest in the heritage and history of the Clydesdale area.

This website is one of several initiatives from Lanark and District Archaeology Society (LADAS) to encourage engagement with the history of the region. The project includes lecture programmes, fieldwalks, cataloguing artefacts, inspiring school pupils during talks and presentations, and working with like-minded organisations – with the end goal being to record and preserve the heritage of Clydesdale.

Most popular this month

Some snapshots of Lanark in 1929


Below is a small sample of photos which appeared in the “Pictorial Review, 1929“, published by the Hamilton Advertiser. Any information about the individuals, places, or organisations shown in these…

Sir Simon MacDonald Lockhart, Lee Castle and Lanark


The Lockhart family, one of the best known names in the area, owned extensive lands and property throughout Clydesdale, Lanarkshire and part of Midlothian, dating back over 700 years ago…

Be sure and secure a copy of “The Cartland Quotations Book”


In an article on 08 July, 1916, the Carluke and Lanark Gazette urged all its readers to “Be sure and secure a copy of “The Cartland Quotation Book“. Few people…

Lanark Aviation Meeting

Year: 1910

The Lanark Airshow was the first airshow in Scotland and it was particularly special in that it was also the second British International Airshow. It attracted competitors from all over…

The story of William Wallace


This is a presentation about William Wallace in Lanark.

Proclamation of King George V at Lanark Cross

Proclamation of King George V

Year: 1910

A view of the proclamation of King George V at Lanark Cross in 1910. All the local dignitaries were there. The Provost of Lanark Town Council read out the proclamation.…

A view of Lamington Station from the 1960s

Lamington Station


This is a view of Lamington Station, probably taken in the early 1960s. By the 1970s, the station had been demolished. It was originally a small wooden hut built for…

Julian on the Moor

“Julian” on the Moor

Year: 1918

The visit of Julian to Lanark included a visit to the area near Lanark Golf Course. This was not a particularly successful visit as the tank broke down and had…

Sale catalogue from Lanark Auction Market

Year: 1892

A sale catalogue dating from 1892 from Lawrie & Symington Auctioneers at Lanark Auction Market.

Burn Braes


A nice view of the Burn Braes, Biggar. The postcard was produced by J.H. Wilson. The Mill would have been working at the time this picture was taken. The exact…

Thomson Map of Pettinain, 1832

Thomson Map of Pettinain

Year: 1832

Thomson’s map of Pettinain, from 1832, has great detail, pinpointing more accurately Eastshield and the Grange. John Thomson (1777-c1840) was a Scottish cartographer from Edinburgh, celebrated for his 1817 New…

Blaeu map of Pettinain, 1654

Blaeu map of Pettinain

Year: 1654

This map, by Joan Blaeu in 1654, shows Pettinain – described on the map as ‘Petynan’. Nearby is the Grange – the grange is mentioned in the records of the…