Lanark

William Wallace murdered Haselrigg, the English Sheriff of Lanark at the town’s Castle in May 1297. The reason for this act is the subject of dispute. Regardless of why, this single act set Wallace on the path to his destiny; it brought him the support of much of the population, and galvanised ordinary Scots to rally to his flag.

Lanark’s name comes from its woollen industry (from the Norman French, the modern ‘laine’, meaning wool, is related to it); indeed Edward I’s tax on wool in 1296 (to finance a campaign in Flanders) inflamed local opinion and garnered Wallace much local support.  The town had a Greyfriars monastery, founded at the time of Robert the Bruce, it was located between Broomgate and Friars Lane. The site of a house reputed to have belonged to Wallace lies opposite the church of St Nicholas at the west end of the High Street (above the door of which a statue of Wallace was placed in the early 19th Century).

An interesting remnant of the period can be found in the rear of one of the properties in the High Street, from Bernards Wynd a 13th Century gothic window can be seen; this was from a stone-built house, probably owned by the monks of Dryburgh (being the best house in the Town, it is likely that Wallace resided there after his defeat of the English forces at Stirling Bridge). In the grounds of Lanark’s old cemetery are the remains of the original St Kentigern’s Church, the south wall and chancel arch are from Wallace’s time.

Narrow by year:

Narrow by tags:

West Port, Lanark

postcard
Year: 1933

This is a view of the West Port which was posted on July 18th 1933. The writer of the card sent separately four stockings to Miss Ruby Aitken of Knowhead,…

Falls of Clyde, Corra Linn

postcard
Year: 1903

In the early years of the 20th century, the message on a postcard was written on the front of the card, with the reverse reserved solely for the recipient address…

Jack’s the Ironmonger

postcard
Year: 1900

A picture showing James Jack, Ironmonger and Seed Merchant of Lanark. The picture dates to the early 20th century, showing staff in front of the shop.

Cattaneo, Lanark Airshow

postcard
Year: 1910

A postcard signed by Cattaneo, an Italian aviator who flew at the Lanark Airshow in 1910. It is one of a group of signed cards that are of aviators who…

St. Leonard’s Street

postcard

A pre-World War 1 postcard of St. Leonard’s Street, Lanark. As shown, the roads were not tarmacked at this point. The houses along this street were most likely constructed towards…

Lockhart Hospital

postcard
Year: 1900

This old photograph of the Lockhart Hospital was posted c. 1900 as the message is on the front of the card. Many would think that this was the William Smellie…

Smyllum House

postcard

This is a very early view of Smyllum House, which was connected with William Smellie. However, the house that he lived in is no longer visible. The surviving parts of…

High Street

postcard

A pre-World War 1 postcard showing Lanark’s High Street. The card proudly states, on the reverse, that it was made in Britain. Prior to this, many postcards were manufactured in…

Lanark Loch before World War 1

postcard

Lanark Loch, pictured before the First World War. At that time, Lanark Loch was known as Lanark Lake. The postcard caption names The Lake Pavillion. It was a popular destination,…

Early picture of New Lanark

postcard

One of the earliest images of New Lanark with a lot of interesting detail.