Biggar

According to local legend, William Wallace dressed as a pedlar in order to pass a guarded crossing (Cadger’s Brig) and spy on the English Army camp before the Battle of Biggar. However, there is no evidence that there was anything other than a ford here, and the Battle of Rosslyn happened at the same date (questioning the plausibility of the tale).

Biggar is located within the Barony of the Fleming Family (possibly so-called due to their origin in Flanders, although the family arrived from England at the time of Henry II). In the 12th Century Baldwin the Fleming was Sheriff of Lanarkshire, remains of his Motte castle are to be found in the grounds of Moat Park Manse, the Bailey was destroyed in the 19th Century in order to create a croquet lawn (the skateboard park of its day). No excavations have taken place on the Motte, so its role in the Wars of Independence cannot be determined.

Nearby is the Parish Church of St Mary’s, which was originally constructed in the 12th Century; it was replaced by the building we see today on the same site in 1547. This was to be the last Catholic church constructed in Scotland prior to the Reformation.

Clydesdale’s history is celebrated at the Moat Park Museum, which has a wealth of interesting archaeological exhibits. This is but one of many museums in Biggar, each one amply rewards their visitors with a fascinating array of artifacts.

Narrow by year:

Narrow by tags:

Original Market Cross, Biggar

postcard

This is a postcard showing the original market cross which stood on a mound near the Corn Exchange in Biggar. The cross was sketched by John Pairman, a famous artist…

Gladstone family birthplace

postcard

This postcard shows both William Ewart Gladstone and his grandfather’s house at Toftcombs, near Biggar. This is one of the cards sent to Miss Hutson at the Store House in…

Church at Coulter

postcard

This is a pre 1st World War card showing the church at Coulter, which was produced for James Jackson, Stationer in Biggar. The present church was built in 1810 on…

Public Park

postcard

This is a rather unusual view of the Public Park at Biggar showing one side of the boating pond. It shows that new bushes and trees had been planted as…

Dolphinton Station

postcard
Year: 1908

This is an interesting card of the Caledonian Station at Dolphinton. This line opened in 1867 and it connected Dolphinton to Carstairs. By the 1920s, there were three return journeys…

Boghall Castle

postcard
Year: 1867

A rather fanciful print of Boghall Castle dating from 1867. Boghall Castle was a 14th century castle to the south of Biggar. Boghall fell into ruins in the 19th century.

Burning out the old year at Biggar

postcard
Year: 1907

A postcard picturing the Hogmanay Bonfire at Biggar. The card was sent on 23 December, 1907, so the postcard itself was likely produced before 1907. The Biggar Bonfire is now…

Humorous Biggar Postcard

postcard
Boating Pond, Biggar

Boating Pond

postcard

A view of Biggar Boating Pond which according to the County of Lanark book was constructed c.1900.

The Postal History of Biggar

document

Exploring the postal history of Biggar and surrounding areas. This exploration of the postal history of Biggar was written and compiled by Brian Dow, and covers the period of time…