Pont Map of Biggar
An interesting map of Biggar by cartographer Timothy Pont in c. 1596. St Mary’s Church can be seen on the map. Curiously, there are two castles indicated – one showing four towers, the other labelled Boghall. It is possible this is an error in the map.
It is amazing to see that a small place such as Libberton has two towers, plus a church!
Rev Timothy Pont (c. 1560–c.1627) was a Scottish minister, cartographer and topographer. He was the first to produce a detailed map of Scotland. Pont’s maps are among the earliest surviving to show a European country in minute detail, from an actual survey.
Map courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.