Pont Map of Lanark

Year: 1596

A Timothy Pont map from 1596 showing Lanark. The map shows what appears to be a tower house enclosed by a ditch. This ditch could be the remains of the Park Pale. The word Pale means stake, coming from the Latin Palus, a stake. The purpose of a Pale enclosure was to keep deer in an area for hunting. The Pale was an earth bank with a high wooden fence to stop the deer escaping. Several years ago, the remains of the Pale were found during a walk near the Falls.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments